06 December 2018
Mr ‘South Australia’ Keith Conlon, Police Commissioner Grant Stevens and cycling legend Pat Jonker will join with prominent South Australian businessmen to lead the Ride for a reason charge in 2019 and raise vital funds for Cancer Council SA.
Known as the ‘Lead Out Team’ the dedicated group will be led by Olympian and former Santos Tour Down Under winner, Pat Jonker and are hoping to raise more than $60,000 for South Australians impacted by cancer.
Pat has been Riding for a reason since the event started in 2009. He’s inspired to ride every year by his best mate and riding partner Peter Montesi, who was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2011.
“Pete and I first met in 1984 cycling around the hills of Adelaide. Not many people rode their bikes back then, so it was great to find someone who shared my dreams and ambitions. We headed to Paris together and raced together in the amateur ranks all around France.”
“To see someone as fit and healthy as Pete diagnosed with cancer came as a huge shock. I remember the day I received the call – it didn’t make any sense. Ever since that day, I’ve rode to support Pete and the thousands of other South Australians impacted by cancer.
“Ride for a reason is an iconic South Australian event I’m unbelievably proud to be involved again this year, leading this fantastic group of cyclists,” he said.
Cancer Council SA Chief Executive Lincoln Size, who will be joining the Lead Out Team in 2019, said that he’s looking forward to being a part of this passionate group who are committed to making a difference.
“I’ve been a proud participant in Cancer Council’s Ride for a reason since 2016 and am thrilled to be joined by the likes of Pat Jonker, Grant Stevens and Keith Conlon to lead the Ride for a reason charge again in 2019,” he said.
“In the last 20 years, thanks to the money raised through events like Ride for reason we have seen huge advancements in cancer research and diagnosis.”
“Today, the five year survival rate of all cancers is 68%—in the 1980’s it was as low as 48%. Thanks to research investment it’s estimated that a staggering 61,000 Australian lives have been saved.”
“It’s these statistics show how important fundraising is and why, through taking part in Ride for a reason, we are supporting vital programs that help to save future lives.”
For more information about Ride for a reason and to register visit: www.rideforareason.com.au.
- ends -
Meet the Lead Out Team
- Pat Jonker - Olympian, 2004 Tour Down Under Winner, Tour de France rider, Cancer Council SA Ambassador and Lead Out Team Coach
- Lincoln Size – Chief Executive, Cancer Council SA
- Keith Conlon - ‘Mr South Australia’ and Cancer Council SA Ambassador
- Grant Stevens – South Australian Police Commissioner
- Donny Walford - Non Executive Director, Diversity Champion, CEO, Blogger, Presenter
- Mike Krause – CEO, P2PAgri and cancer survivor
- Sam Jeffries – General Manager, The Distillery
- Ian Pibworth – Principal Consultant, Asset Management at AMCL
- John Keeves – Partner, Johnson Winter Slattery
- George Pantahos – Founding Director, George Pantahos & Co
- Barry Higham – Project Manager, SACE Automation
- Russell Schrale – General Manager, Marketing, Fundraising and Relationships, Cancer Council SA
- Tony Siebert – General Manager, Corporate Services and Company Secretary, Cancer Council SA.