09 October 2013
Now in their fourth year of training for the Santos Tour Down Under Bupa Challenge Tour, the Governor’s 10 team again features a star-studded line-up with the Hon Jay Weatherill, Premier of South Australia, among those signing up to Ride for a reason.
The Governor’s 10 team met at Government House today with their official coach Patrick Jonker to prepare for the upcoming ride.
His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce AC CSC RANR is again leading the pack as the Governor’s 10 prepare to ride in the Bupa Challenge Tour and fundraise for Cancer Council SA.
“Our team is excited to be warming up for the Santos Tour Down Under and we are challenging other South Australians to join us and Ride for a reason,” His Excellency said.
Last year, the Governor’s 10 team raised more than $64,000 for Cancer Council SA’s Beat Cancer Project.
“This year, we hope to raise even more funds to make a significant impact on cancer in South Australia. To think that half of us will experience cancer by age 85 is hard to accept, but together we can change this for the future.”
The Governor’s 10 are riding together on Friday 24 January 2014 in the Bupa Challenge Tour, along with hundreds of other cyclists who will Ride for a reason and raise funds to help support over 9,300 South Australians diagnosed with cancer each year.
Cancer Council SA Chief Executive, Professor Brenda Wilson, said that the Governor’s 10 team was looking forward to preparing for another ride at the Santos Tour Down Under.
“Riding with the Governor’s 10 team has become bigger each year, and it is fantastic to see such an inspiring group of leading South Australians put their support behind Cancer Council SA,” said Professor Wilson.
“Every day around 25 South Australians are diagnosed with cancer, and every day we are doing something to bring the defeat of cancer closer.
“Participating in Cancer Council’s Ride for a reason not only supports people who have been touched by cancer, it also helps reduce cancer risk, by keeping active and contributing to a healthy lifestyle.
“All funds raised will go towards critical cancer research in South Australia, through the Beat Cancer Project.”
The Bupa Challenge Tour offers participants distances between 33km to 154.5km starting from Unley, Meadows, Mt Compass and Yankalilla on Friday 24 January 2014.
Register to Ride for a reason at the Santos Tour Down Under at www.rideforareason.com.au or phone 1300 65 65 85.
Riders will gain free entry into the Bupa Challenge Tour for raising more than $1,000, as part of Cancer Council’s Ride for a reason.
For more information on the Bupa Challenge Tour, visit www.tourdownunder.com.au
The ‘Governor’s 10’ Ride for a reason team for 2014:
• His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce AC CSC RANR – Governor of South Australia
• Premier Jay Weatherill – Premier of South Australia
• Professor Brenda Wilson – Chief Executive, Cancer Council SA
• Brenton Ragless – Weather Presenter, Channel 9 South Australia
• Ben Bishop – Transaction Advisory Services Director, Ernst & Young
• David Klingberg AO – Business Patron, Cancer Council SA
• Donny Walford – Managing Director, Behind Closed Doors
• Patrick Jonker – Olympic cyclist and official Governor’s 10 coach
• Daniel Gallagher – General Manager SA/NT, Bupa
• Bill Griggs – Director, Trauma Service, Royal Adelaide Hospital
• Dean Dalla Valle – Coal President, BHP
• David Knox – Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, SANTOS
• Julia Dnistrianski – Partner, Finlaysons