13 11 20

Information and support

  • Get informed
  • Get support
  • Cut my risk
  • Get involved
  • Research
  • Getting your affairs in order


    It’s a good idea for everyone to get their affairs in order, whether you have cancer or not. By preparing a few simple documents, you can make sure that your wishes are followed, and you will make things easier for your family at a difficult time.

    ‘Getting your affairs in order’ usually means:

    • making a will
    • preparing documents that will help others to make decisions for you, if you’re not able to make them yourself (called advance care planning)
    • nominating a beneficiary for your superannuation and insurance
    • sorting out legal and financial paperwork.

    This fact sheet goes through the key issues involved in getting your affairs in order.

    Making a will

    A will is a legal document that records what you want to happen to your assets after you die. These assets are called your estate.

    Who can make a will?

    Anyone aged 18 or older can make a will, as long as you have ‘testamentary capacity’. This means that you:

    • understand what a will is
    • can communicate what you want to put in your will, and why.

    If there could be any doubt about whether you have testamentary capacity (for example, if you are on heavy pain medication that is affecting how you think), it’s a good idea to get a doctor’s certificate.

    Who should make a will?

    All adults should have a valid will. It’s the best way to make sure that your assets are distributed in the way you want after you die. If you don’t make a will, then the law decides what will happen to your property when you die, and it might not be what you would have wanted.

    Why is it important to make a will?

    Even if you don’t own much, making a will is still a good idea. Having a will makes it easier for family and friends to make legal and financial arrangements after you die. Without a will, these arrangements can be complicated and expensive.

    A will is particularly important for anyone with a family or dependants, especially if you are separated or divorced.

    How do I make a will?

    There are a number of ways to make a will.

    Talk to an expert – A lawyer can help you draft a will. Some people draft their own wills using kits bought from a newsagency or post office. However, there are certain requirements for a will to be valid and using a lawyer ensures you get it right. Lawyers charge different amounts to draft wills. Ask around to make sure you get the best deal. If you have been diagnosed with cancer and you can’t afford to pay, Cancer Council may be able to arrange a lawyer to draft a will for free.

    Use the SA Public Trustee –The SA Public Trustee can help you draw up a will for free if you appoint them as your executor. If you would like to appoint someone else as your executor, then you must pay a fee to have your will prepared. The SA Public Trustee charges fees to administer the estate after you die.

    What’s in a will?

    Wills usually include:

    • who you want to leave your money and property to (called your beneficiaries)
    • who should have responsibility for administering your estate (called the executor)
    • who should look after your children, if you and the other parent both die before the youngest child turns 18 (guardians).

    Before you talk to a lawyer, have a think about who you want to appoint in these roles.

    Some assets such as superannuation and insurance may not form part of your estate. Benefits may be paid directly to your dependents, which means your will won’t have any effect on them. For more information see page 5, Superannuation death benefit nominations.

    What makes a will valid?

    For a will to be valid it must be:

    • in writing – handwritten, typed or printed
    • signed – on every page and dated
    • witnessed – two people, who are not beneficiaries in the will and who are aged over 18, need to witness your signature and sign their own name, on every page. The will-maker and the witnesses all need to be present at the same time.


    Witnessing a signature doesn’t mean you wrote the will, or you have read and understood what’s in it. It just means that you saw the will-maker sign the document. Anyone aged over 18 can be a witness. It’s a good idea for everyone – the will-maker and the witnesses – to use the same pen.

    If your will is not made in this manner it may not be enforceable; the Court has the power to grant or not grant probate (confirm that the will is valid) and your property could be disposed of as if you had not made a will. In exercising this power, the Court needs to be satisfied that the document sets out how you want your assets to be distributed.

    Where should I keep my will?

    Keep your will in a safe place. Your lawyer will usually hold the will for you, or you could keep it with your other important documents. It’s important you tell your executor where your will is kept.

    I made a will a few years ago. Do I have to redo it?

    It’s a good idea to review a will regularly (e.g. every five years) to see if it needs updating.

    If you have been married, you will need a new will.

    If you have been divorced, separated or had children since your last will, it may be a good idea to write a new will or have your lawyer help you make a formal addition called a codicil.

    Can anyone challenge my will?

    Yes. The law expects people to make ‘proper provision’ for certain people. These include:

    • current and former spouses
    • de facto partners who are living with you around the time of your death
    • children
    • financially dependent grandchildren
    • any other financially dependent people in your household.

    If you don’t make provision for these people, they can go to court and challenge your will.

    The Court will consider their needs, their relationship to you and whether they contributed to your estate (for example, as part of a marriage).

    If you want to leave any of these people out of your will, you should talk to a lawyer.

    What happens if I don’t make a will?

    An administrator (often a relative) will be appointed to carry out similar duties to an executor’s. The law provides a formula for the distribution of assets of a person who has not left a will. This may not work out the way you would have wanted.

    If you don’t have a will, legal procedures may be more complicated and time consuming. This may cause expense and worry to your family.

    Advance care planning 

    Advance care planning means preparing documents now that will help your family and friends make decisions for you, if you’re not able to make them yourself.

    For further information visit advancecaredirectives.sa.gov.au and advancecareplanning.org.au.

    Advance Care Planning Australia also has their information available in 15 other languages which can be accessed via their home page.

    Superannuation death benefit nominations

    When a member of a superannuation fund dies, the fund pays out their death benefit to one or more of their dependents. This includes their preserved amount (the contributions they made while they were working) and any insurance benefit.

    You can tell your superannuation fund who you want to receive your death benefit. You do this by completing a death benefit nomination or a binding death benefit nomination. The binding nomination means the fund trustee must follow your wishes. Binding death benefit nominations must be updated every three years. Contact your superannuation fund for a nomination form.

    You can only nominate someone who is a financial dependent (or interdependent), such as a spouse, a de facto or a child. If you have another life insurance policy (not connected to your superannuation account), you will need to nominate the beneficiary separately. Contact your insurer to do this.

    Many superannuation funds include life insurance attached as a default option. See Superannuation and cancer for more details.

    Organising your paperwork

    It’s a good idea to have all of your paperwork in one place. This will make it easier if, for example, you need to be in hospital for a long time, and a family member has to help you with financial and legal matters.

    Important documents to get together might include:

    • birth, marriage and divorce certificates
    • bank and credit card information
    • share and other investment details
    • Centrelink and Medicare details
    • superannuation and insurance information
    • funeral information
    • house title/lease documents
    • passport.

    Where to get help and information

    This is general information, which may be relevant to South Australia only and is not a substitute for legal advice. You should talk to a lawyer about your specific situation.

    Want to know where this information comes from? Click here.

    email Email