23 December 2015
Cancer Council SA would like to say thank you!
Our vision to beat cancer has been at the forefront of everything we've done over the past year, and together we are making a real difference!
Thanks to your passion, energy and generosity we can continue to help people all over the state who are affected by cancer.
You should feel proud of the work you've made possible. Here is just a snap shot of the last 12 months.
Creating new breakthroughs:
With research at the forefront of the cancer fight, your donations enabled us to give over $8.5 million to research in South Australia through our Beat Cancer Project.
- This included funding 57 research projects across all types of cancer at every stage of the cancer journey
- New antibody treatment for acute myeloid leukaemia is being made possible by research funded by the Peter Nelson Leukaemia Research Fellowship Fund. Early results from clinical trials in Australia and the US are very encouraging
Together with SA Health and Flinders University, we have also developed a survivorship monitoring tool to track the needs of an ever growing number of cancer survivors.
Stopping cancer in its tracks:
Thanks to you:
- Over 70,500 children attended a SunSmart school, helping to lower their cancer risk!
- A total of 233 health professionals completed Quitskills training - this training and Quitline counselling service are among the key programs we deliver to support people to quit smoking
Our Tobacco Control efforts continued to help people stop smoking, with the South Australian smoking rate at an all time low, dropping from 19.4% in 2013 to 15.7% in 2014 among people aged 15 and older.
Ensuring no one goes through cancer alone:
Your generosity allowed us to:
- Employ nurses who provided information and support to over 6,500 callers about all things cancer related
- Employ counsellors who provided emotional support to over 1,000 people
- Launch a new program to support people struggling to cope with child care, home cleaning and gardening during cancer treatment
Provide 31,228 nights of accommodation to country South Australians travelling to Adelaide for cancer treatment.
Together we will beat cancer:
This incredible work is only made possible through the tireless efforts of our donors, fundraisers, volunteers and Ambassadors.
Thank you for your ongoing support which allows us to continue these important programs for the local community.
On behalf of everyone at Cancer Council SA, we wish you a safe and happy holiday season and look forward to uniting together to beat cancer in 2016.
Cancer Council SA